Friday, February 15, 2008

Soap Soup!

The last time I did this I told my innocent children that I was making soap soup. We all tease each other all the time, but they didn't get worried until I grated zote soap and began cooking it in a pan with water. Then they started getting worried.

"Mom? I'm sure I don't like soap soup!"

"Mom? Are you teasing me?"

"Mom? Are we really having soap soup? Mom???"

I just replied that they always say that with new things, and you never know if you don't like something until you try it, without actually telling them they were having it for dinner.

They believed me all the way until I put the new laundry soap in the washing machine to wash a load of clothes. I must be an awful, terrible mom, because I love messing with my kids minds! Bwahahahaha!

Here are some pictures of this time around.

Photobucket
1/3 bar of zote soap.
1/2 cup of Borox
1/2 cup of washing soda

Photobucket
My soap!

Photobucket
My assistant!

Photobucket

Soap in the pan of water.

Photobucket
What happens if you ignore the instructions to heat on low.

Photobucket
My assistant found that amusing.

Photobucket
Stir!

Photobucket
Ready for the next step!

Photobucket
1/2 cup of each.

Photobucket
Getting thick.

Photobucket
A two-gallon bucket half filled with hot water.

Photobucket
One more step!

Photobucket
Filling it up the rest of the way with hot water.

Photobucket
Done!

And all while these were cooking!
Photobucket
If you can't tell, it's cupcakes decorated with marshmallows and candy.

6 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Do you do this because of preference or is this the only laundry soap where you are at?

Sarah Joy said...

It's not the only laundry soap.

My washer instructions say I need to use low-sudsing detergent if I want to extend the life of the washer. I was having a hard time finding the low sudsing stuff in Tijuana, although I'm sure if I shopped around enough I could find it. It would be more expensive than I can get it in San Diego, which is more expensive than I like anyway.

I wanted to be more confident making it if I couldn't find it easily or cheaply enough for us when we get to Mexico City. This stuff is really inexpensive to make, and it's low sudsing too.

Besides it makes me feel all frugal and crafty!

redneck preacher said...

My wife makes soap soup also and it cost about a nickel a load.

I am surprised one of yours did not try to eat it.

who decorated the cupcakes?

HTOITA

Sarah Joy said...

Aren't the cupcakes unique? Those three represent the creative talents of each of the girls. Rebecca gave hers to David in exchange for some sugar free goodie I had, but she wanted to decorate one too.

Actually, this time around my assistant kept begging for some of the grated pink stuff that looked like candy, so (after repeatedly telling her she wouldn't like it, and it wasn't food) I let her put her tongue on it, and she didn't ask any more after that. Man, I should have gotten a picture of that moment! Ha ha ha ha!

Rita Loca said...

Always good to know this stuff! Thats why I ask!

Sarah Joy said...

Thanks for asking! The boxes will last a long time, but aren't so easy to get down here. The zote soap is easy to get, and any bar type laundry soap will work.