Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Getting R & R

We just got back from a very busy trip, and now we are resting. Having a day, or two, or more to rest after a busy time is vital to our family life on the road! Balance is important, and we have to realize this before we push ourselves and our kids beyond what God wants us to bear. They can carry a heavy load for a while, and do it willingly because they are wonderful kids, and they love us. However, there will come a moment when they will be convinced we don't care about their needs if we don't take time aside to rest, to recoup, and to spend time together. I say the kids need it, and they do, but I didn't realize how much I needed it until we started making regularly scheduled rest part of our routine.

I do my best to discourage the idea of feeling sorry for missionary's families. These challenges make us stronger, and they give us experience in relying on the Lord at the same time. This is wonderful. But it is challenging for little ones, and we do well to have compassion on them in their weakness, like our Father has compassion on us. He knows our limitations. He has offered us rest in Him every day. I'm thankful I can do what He asks me, and trust Him to know what I need!
He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
(Isaiah 40:11)


3 comments:

Emily Campbell said...

I totally agree and I'm so glad you can enjoy some restful family time!

redneck preacher said...

Very wise for my little girl.

HTOITA

redneck preacher said...

It's obvious your rest time was very profitable. By the way, I love your back ground - very retro!
Love you! Mom